Sunday, July 19, 2020: Seventh Sunday after Pentecost

Welcome to the CHS Vientiane Worship Service Resources

We invite you to take time this Sunday, in families or very small groups of friends, to responsibly share space to worship God together.
If you are on your own, please be assured we are together in the Spirit and if you have needs, or just want to share concerns, please don't be afraid to reach out
and share these with the CHS community.  Contact details can be found on our church website at:  http://www.thechs.org/

Ideas for parents to use with their children at home can be found on this page (click this link).
~ Pastor Tony



Scripture Sentence
“Be rooted in Christ, be built in him,
grow strong in the faith; let your hearts
overflow with thankfulness.”
                                     (Colossians 2:7)


Collect
Almighty God,
your Son has opened for us
a new and living way into your presence.
Give us pure hearts and constant wills  
to worship you in spirit and in truth;
through Jesus Christ our Lord
who lives and reigns
with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever.
Amen.


Prayer of Approach
Holy trinity, we come to You as Your children.
Not hesitant,
not fearful,
but full of expectation of what we will learn from You today,
what joy we will have journeying together.
we run to You like young chicks seeking shelter under Your wings,
comfort us with Your tenderness,
nourish us with what we need to grow strong
and protect us with Your fierce love.
We have come here today to worship You
with our sisters and brothers in Christ.
You made us to praise You,
may our whole lives be songs of adoration.
Amen.


Opening Hymn of Praise 
Come, now is the time to worship (MP1040)

Come, now is the time to worship.
Come, now is the time to give your heart.
Come, just as you are, to worship.
Come, just as you are, before your God,
come.

One day every tongue will confess You are God,
one day every knee will bow.
Still the greatest treasure remains for those
who gladly choose You now.

One day . . .
Come, now is the time . . .



Confession
Prologue (Optional)
I confess Lord that sometimes I feel lost
Find yourself in me.
I confess Lord that sometimes the questions are too many
Concentrate on how much I love you.
I confess Lord that sometimes the answers don’t come
I have the answers, don’t worry about that.
I confess Lord that sometimes I know what is right and don’t do it
I know, I forgive you.
I confess Lord that sometimes I don’t even know what is right
That’s ok, my Spirit will guide you.
I confess Lord that sometimes I listen to other people more than I listen to You
Humans tend to do that. Thank you for saying sorry. Please keep trying.
I confess Lord that sometimes it is easier to be moral than it is to be holy
Look to my Word, it will be a lamp to guide you.
I confess Lord that sometimes I want to give up – what difference can I make?
You are the difference, you are my plan to love the world.
I confess Lord that sometimes my choices don’t match my words
I will give you new strength every morning.
I confess Lord that sometimes Your mystery scares me
Fear and awe is probably the correct response.
I confess Lord that sometimes I forget that You are a God of action
Don’t worry, I will remind you.
I confess Lord that sometimes I feel lost
I have found you, I am with you and I love you.

Our heavenly Father
thank you that you love us and care for us all the time.
We know that this week we have not always lived the way you tell us.
We have done wrong things and not done all the good things we should have done.
Only you can save us,
so please forgive us
and help us to live as your friends.
We ask this in Jesus’ name.
Amen.

Silence

Jesus died and rose again for us.
In humble penitence let us
accept his pardon and receive his peace.
Amen.

God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
from you alone come everlasting joy and peace.
Fill us with joy in your promises,
and send us out to be bearers of your peace;
through your Son Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.



Creed
We believe in God the Father,                 
Maker of all things.
We believe in his Son Jesus Christ,
Lord and Saviour of the world.
We believe in the Holy Spirit,
giver of life and light.    
We belong to the Church,
God’s family everywhere.
Amen.


Bible Readings
Psalm:  Psalm 86:11-17
First reading:  Isaiah 44:6-8
Second reading:  Romans 8:12-25


Children’s Song
Father God, I wonder (JP337)

Father God, I wonder
how I managed to exist
without the knowledge
of Your parenthood
and Your loving care.
But now I am Your son,
I am adopted in Your family,
and I can never be alone
’cause, Father God,
You’re there beside me.

I will sing Your praises,
I will sing Your praises,
I will sing Your praises for evermore.

I will sing Your praises,
I will sing Your praises,
I will sing Your praises for evermore.


Prayer for / with the Children
Father we admit that it is not our job
to judge who’s in and who’s out,
who fits and who doesn’t
Only you can tell
what belongs and what doesn’t.
God of the harvest
We thank you that you
encourage us simply
to do what we can,
to grow together,
to influence the other,
knowing that in the end
no matter how it looks on the outside,
how much it may seem like
we all fit together,
those who deny life to others
will not survive
but will be removed,
allowing space to grow
the kingdom of God.
We pray in Jesus’ name,
Amen.


Sermon

Song
How great Thou art (MP506)

1  O Lord my God! when I in awesome wonder
consider all the works Thy hand hath made,
I see the stars, I hear the mighty thunder,
the power throughout the universe displayed;

Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
how great Thou art, how great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
how great Thou art, how great Thou art!

2  When through the woods and forest glades I wander
and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,
and hear the brook, and feel the gentle breeze;

Then sings my soul . . .

3  And when I think that God His Son not sparing,
sent Him to die – I scarce can take it in,
that on the cross my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin:

Then sings my soul . . .

4  When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
and take me home – what joy shall fill my heart!
Then shall I bow in humble adoration
and there proclaim, my God, how great Thou art!

Then sings my soul . . .


Offering
(Please do bear in mind that as long as we are still able to,
CHS is continuing to support various projects and people
in need and needs will likely increase during this time. 
You may want to set aside some money in an envelope every Sunday
and bring these to church when we next meet back at ARDA.)


Dedication of our Offering
Blessed are you, Lord God,
from the first of time to the last.
Yours, Lord, is the greatness and the power,
the glory, the splendour and the majesty;
for everything in heaven and on earth is yours.
Yours, Lord, is the sovereignty,
and you are exalted over all as head.
Wealth and honour come from you;
you rule over all.

Of your own we now give you,
for the good of your Church
and the glory of your name;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.


Intercessions
The response for this prayer is Psalm 141:2 –
“Let my prayer be counted as incense before You 
and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice.”

Lord you ask us to pray to You.
We know that You see all,
know all
so what would be the point in keeping back any thoughts or feelings?
Help us pour them all out to You.
Jonah says his prayers rose to You in the holy temple.
Like David, we ask that our prayers be like incense before You.

Let my prayer be counted as incense before You
and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice.

Lord, we pray for everyone we know who has lost a positive self-image,
for those who loathe themselves,
hurt themselves,
starve themselves,
drug themselves.
We pray for all those who stay in places and with people who wound them.
Holy Spirit help these people know who they are in You –
beloved, forgiven, restored.
Help us to help them.

Let my prayer be counted as incense before You
and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice.

Lord we pray for churches that have lost their positive self-image.
We pray for Your people who see themselves as defeated, irrelevant, weak.
Holy Spirit help Your church believe that it is still the bride of Christ –
radiant, spotless, holy.
Help us to be hot coals of enthusiasm
and springs of positive action.

Let my prayer be counted as incense before You
and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice.

Lord we pray for a planet that is bruised and bleeding.
Help us restore Your creation as the work of Your glorious and holy self that it is.
Let us understand the responsibilities of stewardship You gave us Your people.
Let us view loving Your good creation as an outpouring of homage to You, our creator.
Let our choices be part of our daily worship.
Help us protect this inheritance for future generations.

Let my prayer be counted as incense before You
and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice.

Lord we pray for your on-going redemption of society.
When we think about the damaging cultures we see all around us
We are disturbed and saddened.
Help us make a stand for Your ways in this world.
Help us be a force for good,
working hard to see Your kingdom come,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Make us your ambassadors of your loving faithfulness
and bringers of justice,
carriers of forgiveness and mercy
and makers of peace that surpasses all understanding.
May we be voices for the silenced
and defenders of the weak.
Help us be doers of righteousness.

Let my prayer be counted as incense before You
and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice.

Amen


Lord’s Prayer
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins as we forgive those
who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.
Amen.


Closing Song
Shout to the Lord (MP1003)

My Jesus, my Saviour,
Lord, there is none like You.
All of my days I want to praise
the wonders of Your mighty love.
My comfort, my shelter,
tower of refuge and strength,
let every breath, all that I am,
never cease to worship You.

    Shout to the Lord all the earth, let us sing,
power and majesty, praise to the King.
Mountains bow down and the seas will roar
at the sound of Your name.
I sing for joy at the work of Your hands,
for ever I’ll love You, for ever I’ll stand.
Nothing compares to the promise I have in You.


Prayer of Sending and Blessing
God who sows
and God who reaps,
God who allows growth
even in the hard places,
God who waits patiently
for the right time,
send us out now
into the fields of your world
to plant hope
amidst the weeds and seeds of life.
And may we learn
to scatter love wisely
till you gather us in once more.

And the blessing of God almighty,
the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit
rest upon us and remain with us always.
Amen.


Go in peace to love and serve the Lord,
in the name of Christ.
Amen