Sunday, October 11th, 2020: Nineteenth Sunday after Pentecost

Welcome to the CHS Vientiane Worship Service Resources

We invite you to take time this Sunday, in families or very small groups of friends, to responsibly share space to worship God together.

If you are on your own, please be assured we are together in the Spirit and if you have needs, or just want to share concerns, please don't be afraid to reach out and share these with the CHS community.  Contact details can be found on our church website at:  http://www.thechs.org/

~ Pastor Tony


Scripture Sentence
“Happy are those whom you choose and bring near to remain in your courts. Grant us in abundance the bounty of your house.” (Psalm 65: 4)


Collect
Almighty God,
in our baptism
you adopted us for your own.
Quicken your Spirit within us,
that we, being renewed both in body and mind,
may worship you in sincerity and truth
and serve you with thankfulness of heart;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns
with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever.
Amen.



Call to worship
Come – because you are invited
Come – because you hunger
Come – because you will be fed
Come – for healing
Come – for forgiveness
Come – to this place, to this space
Come – to me, says Jesus – Just come!
Amen


Opening Hymn of Praise 
Man of Sorrows (MP 1332)

1 Man of sorrows, Lamb of God,
by His own betrayed.
The sin of man and wrath of God
has been on Jesus laid.

2  Silent as He stood accused,
beaten, mocked and scorned.
Bowing to the Father’s will,
He took a crown of thorns.

   Oh, that rugged cross, my salvation,
   where Your love poured out over me.
   Now my soul cries out, hallelujah,
   praise and honour unto Thee.

3 Sent of heaven, God’s own Son
to purchase and redeem,
and reconcile the very ones
who nailed Him to that tree.
   Oh, that rugged cross…
  
Now my debt is paid, it is paid in full
by the precious blood that my Jesus spilled.
Now the curse of sin has no hold on me.
Whom the Son sets free, oh, is free indeed.

Now my debt is paid . . .
   Oh, that rugged cross . . .

4 See, the stone is rolled away,
behold the empty tomb.
Hallelujah, God be praised,
He’s risen from the grave.
Oh, that rugged cross . . .
. . . praise and honour unto Thee.


Confession
Our heavenly Father
thank you that you love us 
and care for us all the time.
We know that this week 
we have not always lived the way you tell us.
We have done wrong things 
and not done all the good things we should have done.
Only you can save us,
so please forgive us
and help us to live as your friends.
We ask this in Jesus’ name.
Amen

Silence

Almighty God
have mercy upon you,
pardon and deliver you from all your sins,
confirm and strengthen you in all goodness,
and keep you in life eternal;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.

 Merciful God, 
you have prepared for those who love you
such good things as pass human understanding.
Pour into our hearts such love towards you
that we, loving you above all things, may obtain your promises,
which exceed all that we can desire;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.


Creed
We believe in God the Father,                 
Maker of all things.
We believe in his Son Jesus Christ,
Lord and Saviour of the world.
We believe in the Holy Spirit,
giver of life and light.    
We belong to the Church,
God’s family everywhere.
Amen.


Bible Readings


Song
How great is our God (MP 1227)

1  The splendour of the King, clothed in majesty;
let all the earth rejoice, all the earth rejoice.
He wraps Himself in light, and darkness tries to hide,
and trembles at His voice, and trembles at His voice.
        How great is our God, sing with me:
        how great is our God
        And all will see how great, how great is our God.

2  And age to age He stands, and time is in His hands;
beginning and the end, beginning and the end.
The Godhead, Three in One, Father, Spirit, Son,
the Lion and the Lamb, the Lion and the Lamb.
       How great is our God . . .

Name above all names, worthy of all praise;
my heart will sing: how great is our God.
Name above all names, worthy of all praise;
my heart will sing: how great is our God.
      How great is our God . . .


Prayer for / with the Children
Reflections on Psalm 23... 

The LORD is my shepherd,  My guide, my satnav, my personal trainer, my president, my prime minister, my mentor. The one I look to...  

I have everything I need. I want plenty of things, long for so much, desire a world of things. But what Lord, do I need? 

He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. Lord, we burn ourselves out at times, take on too much. Please help us to pause, to find moments of refreshment amidst the busy-ness...  

He renews my strength. We are so tired at times, so wrung out from the day. Renew our strength Lord, please, give us patience and endurance...  

He guides me along right paths, bringing honour to his name. It’s easy to get lost, to become distracted and lose our way. Please guide us in our decision making this week Lord...  

Even when I walk through the dark valley of evil, I will not be afraid, The news can be bad, it can frighten and overwhelm us. Help us to see it through your eyes, give us comfort, compassion and courage...  

For you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me. Popular opinion informs us that there is nothing out there, but you promise to always be with us, to never leave us. Help us to remember that Lord in all that happens this week..

You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. Enemies appear in many guises - peer pressure, cynicism, rebuffs and negative criticism from people around us. Your word offers us a feast of encouragement. Thank you Lord. 

You welcome me as a guest, anointing my head with oil. Help us to keep in mind that we are your prodigal children, welcomed home, forgiven, invited in...  

My cup overflows with blessings. Surely your goodness and love will pursue me forever. I will live in the presence of the LORD all my days.  

Thank you for all the good things in our lives, and the promise of fullness of life with you. 

Amen.

 
Sermon 
This Sunday as we are having a member of the congregation preach, there is no transcript or video available. The transcript and video for next Sunday should be available as usual.

Song
 
 Majesty (MP 1181)


1  Here I am, humbled by Your majesty,
covered by Your grace so free.
Here I am, knowing I’m a sinful man,
covered by the blood of the Lamb.
Now I’ve found the greatest love of all is mine,
since You laid down Your life, the greatest sacrifice.
        Majesty, majesty.
        Your grace has found me just as I am,
empty-handed but alive in Your hands.
Majesty, majesty.
Forever I am changed by Your love,
in the presence of Your majesty.

2  Here I am, humbled by the love that You give,
forgiven so that I can forgive.
Here I stand, knowing that I’m Your desire,
sanctified by glory and fire.
Now I’ve found the greatest love of all is mine,
since You laid down Your life, the greatest sacrifice.
Majesty, majesty . . .


Offering
(Please do bear in mind that as long as we are still able to, CHS is continuing to support various projects and people in need and needs will likely increase during this time. You may want to set aside some money in an envelope every Sunday and bring these to church when we next meet back at ARDA.)


Dedication of our Offering
God of all goodness,
accept the gifts we bring.
Use them and us for your glory
and the work of your Church;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.

Dedication of Ajit and Sonia's baby daughter Sanam*
(* sister of big brother Ayyan) 

 
Blessing
The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face to shine upon you,
and be gracious unto you;
the Lord lift up his countenance upon you,
and give you peace.
Amen.
 
Song
Come O fount of every blessing (MP 1164)

1  Come, O Fount of every blessing,
tune my heart to sing Your grace;
streams of mercy, never ceasing,
call for songs of loudest praise:
songs of God’s abundant treasure,
sung by angel tongues above,
songs that tell the boundless measure
of my Lord’s unchanging love!

2  I remember God’s great mercy:
by His help I’ve safely come;
and I know He will not fail me,
but will surely bring me home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger
wandering far away from God,
and, to rescue me from danger,
shed for me His precious blood.

3  Through God’s grace I am His debtor –
daily I this thought renew!
Let that grace, Lord, like a fetter
bind my wandering heart to You.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love!
Take my heart, O take and seal it,
seal it from Your courts above!

 

Prayers

Loving God
  
We are the body of Christ 
Created in Your image
 known and loved by You 
loved for who we are, 
accepted, forgiven, and restored 
united to live in Your ways. 
 
We are nourished by faith
Helping us in our daily lives 
to face the challenges of each day 
to carry us through times of illness,
grief and anxiety.  
Replenishing and restoring us, 
building us up as Your people.
  
We are called to serve 
The lost, the lonely, and the deserted. 
Through our words and our actions. 
To be the hands and the feet 
of our church today
Be with us, 
to feed us with compassion, 
that we might dine on Your grace, 
that we might be filled with Your Spirit, 
as we live our faith in the world today. 
 
We are challenged to love 
To love our families  
through times of both joy and trial. 
To love our friends and neighbours 
even if they annoy or irritate. 
To love our enemies, 
in the face of their anger and malice. 
 
So, Lord nourish our faith  
that we might have love 
to show others  
the love Christ has shown us.
  
Living God, thank You that 
You hold us together in love  
We are the body of Christ  
You help us to grow and mature 
We are nurtured by faith
 You develop our compassion  
We are called to serve 
You make us active and strong  
We are challenged to love
 
In Jesus Christ's Name we pray,
Amen.

Lord’s Prayer
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come, 
your will be done on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins as we forgive those
who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation, 
but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.
Amen

Closing Song 
Mighty to Save (MP 1168)

1  Everyone needs compassion,
love that’s never failing;
let mercy fall on me.
Everyone needs forgiveness,
the kindness of a saviour;
the hope of nations.
        Saviour,
He can move the mountains,
my God is mighty to save,
He is mighty to save.
Forever,
author of salvation,
He rose and conquered the grave,
Jesus conquered the grave.

2  So take me as You find me,
all my fears and failures,
fill my life again.
I give my life to follow
everything I believe in,
now I surrender.
Saviour . . .

Shine your light
and let the whole world see,
we’re singing
for the glory of the risen King,
Jesus.
Shine your light . . .

Saviour . . .

Shine your light . . .

 
Prayer of Sending and Blessing

Lord, thank you for your invitation.
Bless us with open minds to think your thoughts.
Bless us with open hearts to receive your love.
Bless us with open hands to show your love to others.
Bless us gracious God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Amen.

Go in peace to love and serve the Lord,
in the name of Christ.
Amen