Sunday, May 10, 2020: The Fifth Sunday of Easter

Welcome to the CHS Vientiane Worship Service Resources

We invite you to take time this Sunday, in families or very small groups of friends, to responsibly share space to worship God together. If you are on your own, please be assured we are together in the Spirit and if you have needs, or just want to share concerns, please don't be afraid to reach out and share these with the CHS community.  Contact details can be found on our church website at:  http://www.thechs.org/

Ideas for parents to use with their children at home can be found on this page (click this link).
~ Pastor Tony


Scripture Sentence
“I shall run the course
made known in your commandments,
for you have set free my heart.”
(Psalm 119:32)


Collect
Almighty God,
your Son Jesus Christ
is the way, the truth, and the life.
Amen.


Call to worship
At times it can be difficult
to look forward in hope,
to face the future,
to trust that God is working for us.

But in this space,
God is with us.
Offering us a glimpse of heaven,
a foretaste of what is to come.

So, however difficult,
however challenging,
however uncomfortable,
put your trust in God
and worship him.

God is good,
let us worship him.


Opening Hymn of Praise
How Great Thou Art (MP506)

1  O Lord my God,
When I in awesome wonder
consider all the works,
Thy hand hath made,
I see the stars, I hear the mighty thunder,
the power throughout the universe displayed;

        Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
        how great Thou art, how great Thou art
        Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
        how great Thou art, how great Thou art!

2  When through the woods and forest glades I wander
and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,
and hear the brook, and feel the gentle breeze;
        Then sings my soul . . .

3  And when I think that God His Son not sparing,
sent Him to die – I scarce can take it in,
that on the cross my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin:
        Then sings my soul . . .

4  When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
and take me home – what joy shall fill my heart!
Then shall I bow in humble adoration
and there proclaim, my God, how great Thou art!
        Then sings my soul . . .


Confession
Our heavenly Father
thank you that you love us and care for us all the time.
We know that this week we have not always lived the way you tell us.
We have done wrong things and not done all the good things we should have done.
Only you can save us,
so please forgive us
and help us to live as your friends.
We ask this in Jesus’ name.

Silence

“If we confess our sins,
he is faithful and just
and will forgive us our sins
and purify us from all unrighteousness.”
                                                            (1 John 1: 9)
Amen.


Creed
We believe in God the Father,                   
Maker of all things.
We believe in his Son Jesus Christ,
Lord and Saviour of the world.
We believe in the Holy Spirit,
giver of life and light.      
We belong to the Church,
God’s family everywhere.
Amen.


Bible Readings
First reading:  Acts 7:55-60
Second reading:  1 Peter 2:2-10
Gospel:  John 14:1-14


Children’s Song
I am the way, the truth and the life (JP89)
‘I am the way, the truth and the life,’
that’s what Jesus said.
‘I am the way, the truth and the life,’
that’s what Jesus said.
Without the way there is no going,
without the truth there is no knowing,
without the life there is no living.
‘I am the way, the truth and the life,’
that’s what Jesus said.
(X2)


Prayer for / with the Children
In you, O Lord, I have taken refuge;
You do not let me be put to shame;
You come quickly to rescue me.
You, Lord, are my rock, my refuge, my
strong fortress;
You protect me,
You guide me and lead me,
You help me to steer clear of traps and
dangers.
I trust in you, Lord.
My times are in your hands.
You deliver me from my enemies.
Your love for me is never ending;
How great is your goodness, O Lord.
It is stored up for those who fear you;
You give it to all who trust in you.
Praise be to the Lord!
Love the Lord, all his people!
Be strong and take heart all you who
hope in the Lord!
Amen.
(from Psalm 31)


Sermon
*Bonus feature: here is the midweek sermon from Bishop Rennis Ponniah of the Anglican Diocese of Singapore: https://youtu.be/gWofuwRygMI


Song
Everything (MP1175)
1  God in my living,
    there in my breathing,
    God in my waking,
    God in my sleeping.
    God in my resting,
    there in my working,
    God in my thinking,
    God in my speaking.
    Be my everything,
    be my everything,
    be my everything,
    be my everything.

2  God in my hoping,
    there in my dreaming,
    God in my watching,
    God in my waiting.
    God in my laughing,
    there in my weeping,
    God in my hurting,
    God in my healing.
    Be my everything,
    be my everything,
    be my everything,
    be my everything.

        Christ in me,
        Christ in me,
        Christ in me,
        the hope of glory.
        You are everything.
        Christ in me,
        Christ in me,
        Christ in me,
        the hope of glory.
        Be my everything . . .


Offering
(Please do bear in mind that as long as we are still able to, CHS is continuing to support various projects and people in need and needs will likely increase during this time.  You may want to set aside some money in an envelope every Sunday and bring these to church when we next meet back at ARDA.)


Dedication of our Offering
In glad thanksgiving for your goodness,
we offer you our gifts;
and pray for the power
to offer and present
our very selves to you,
a living sacrifice,
dedicated and fit for your acceptance;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.


Prayer of Thanksgiving and Intercession
(Prayers this Sunday are largely based on resources for Christian Aid week whose emphasis this year focusses on the impact of climate change on the most vulnerable: often poor subsistence farmers, who depend on good weather for their livelihoods and lives...)

God of all the earth,
as climate chaos
wreaks havoc on homes
livelihoods and hopes
we raise our voices
and call for justice
for those who suffer the most
but are least responsible,
who have had enough
of empty promises,
perpetual relief packages
and failed carbon reduction commitments.
We pray for wise and courageous action
for all of creation at this critical hour.
In the name of Jesus and for Your Glory, we pray,
Amen

A prayer based on the Hymn, How Great Thou Art
Our souls sing out a joyful song,
Our souls sing out how great Thou art.
We consider the works You have made
The stars of the night, the leaves of the trees
The birds of the air the oceans and streams.

Our souls sing out a mournful song,
Our souls grieve before our God.
We consider the works our hands have made;
The warming of the planet, the rising of seas
The wilting of the harvest, devastating communities.

Our souls sing out a contrite song
Our souls bow down low.
We regret the works our hands have made
The impact on the poorest, the livelihoods lost
The deepening of poverty, the environmental and human cost.

Our souls sing out a penitent song,
Our souls turn back to what is right.
We consider the good works our hands can make;
The words of justice we can speak, the acts of love we can give
The hand of solidarity we can extend, for others to fully live.

Our souls sing out a hopeful song
Our souls look to the Lord, where our hope comes from
We consider the works you call us to;
The love of our neighbour, the stewardship of the earth
The flourishing of all creation, the wonder of its worth.

Creator God who has made the earth
The oceans and the rivers teeming with life
The heartbeats of creatures large and small
We thank you for giving us this wondrous home

Creator God who calls us as stewards
We confess that we have neglected our duty
That human choices are robbing the planet of its life
That climate breakdown has been at our hands

Lord of justice who longs for equality on the earth
We stand with earth defenders and climate protesters
Around the world we join their call for climate justice
May our actions and our words speak life in all its fullness
Amen

Climate emergency prayer
God of justice and love,
help us listen to our sisters and brothers
who are living with the reality of the climate emergency.

We pray for people who are hungry
because of failed harvests and dry river beds.
For people who are homeless
because of unpredictable and extreme weather,
for people who are struggling to make a living
in ever more challenging circumstances.

We pray for the people of Sanamxay District in Attapeu Province.
We give thanks for last week's recovery of 140 Hectares of land for rice planting
after flooding devastated rice fields in 2018.
We pray for Pastor Khamsouk and others
as they work to bring long-term help to those affected;
that they will be granted favour in their negotiations with local government officials, villagers and donors.
We pray that all the necessary official paperwork will be completed to allow people to receive the help they need.

Lord, hear our cry for justice and mercy
for the many people affected by the Xe Pian-Xe Namnoy dam collapse,
who two years on from the disaster have still received no compensation
from those companies held responsible for their loss of life and property.

Prayers relating to the Covid19 pandemic
As we have prayed about the needs of those threatened by climate change,
so we continue to pray for the world in the continuing Covid19 pandemic.

We pray for world leaders to stop blaming others
and concentrate their efforts on helping their people,
especially those most vulnerable, the old, the sick and the poor.

We pray for global joined-up thinking
that will halt the spread of the virus and minimise its effects.

We pray for scientists working to find more effective treatments
and advising governments on public health policies.
Help them to find the answers that are needed,
even if they are not easy may they be the right ones.

We pray for healthcare workers treating and caring for the sick,
especially for those who this week
will have to break the bad news to family members.
Strengthen and protect them physically, mentally and spiritually.

We pray for those who are recovering from the virus,
that you will help them, particularly those for whom the road to recovery
will be long and challenging.

Comfort those grieving over the loss of loved ones
who haven't been able to comfort their dying loved ones
or to mourn supported by the comfort of friends
because restrictions haven't permitted it.

We pray for your Church and for Christians everywhere
to show the compassion of Jesus
for all who are struggling to cope at this time,
to be lights shining in the darkness.

In this global crisis, may people turn and cry out to you God
and in doing so receive the comfort and strength they need,
that only you can provide;
for you are wise, loving and mighty to save.
You alone are the way, the truth and the life.
We pray alongside people everywhere
who show that another world is possible
through their words and actions.
We stand in solidarity with all those who are suffering
Give us the strength we need
to play our part in restoring Your world
to act justly and to walk humbly.
May our love for our neighbours,
even for those far from us,
make known our love for You.

In the name of Christ,
Amen


Lord’s Prayer
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come,
your will be done on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power,
and the glory are yours
now and forever.
Amen.


Closing Song
We must go (MP1174)

1  God of justice, Saviour to all,
came to rescue the weak and the poor,
chose to serve and not be served.
Jesus, You have called us.
Freely we’ve received,
now freely we will give.
     We must go,
     live to feed the hungry,
     stand beside the broken.
     We must go,
     stepping forward,
     keep us from just singing,
     move us into action,
     we must go.

2  To act justly every day,
loving mercy in every way,
walking humbly before You, God.
You have shown us what You require.
Freely we’ve received,
now freely we will give.
     We must go . . .

     We must go . . .

Fill us up and send us out,
fill us up and send us out,
fill us up and send us out, Lord.
Fill us up . . .

     We must go . . .


Prayer of Sending and Blessing
As we leave this place,
as we step outside the door
and choose which direction to head in,
whichever way we go
we go there with the blessing of God,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit, guiding, loving and inspiring us.

May God bless us with wonder at creation’s glory.
May God bless us with fury at creation’s spoiling.
May God bless us with courage at this critical hour.
And may the blessing of God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
rest upon us and on all creation,   
this day and for the future to come.

Go in peace to love and serve the Lord,
in the name of Christ.

Amen.



All song lyrics taken from Mission Praise: